Saturday, February 23, 2008

Memories of the Jersey Shore



Growing up in NJ, I've spent a lot of time down the shore. Family vacations as a kid and many, many day and/or night trips in my late teens and early twenties. I can't count the number of orders of boardwalk fries Nancy and I split or how many slices of pizza all of us ate sitting on overturned lifeguard canoes after the lifeguards left for the day. We knew which bars to go to, where the best food was and the games you were mostly likely to win on the boardwalk.

As all of us got older, we got married, had kids. Some of us still live in NJ, some are spread out across the country and we've lost touch with some others. I have to say, the beach memories were relegated to the back of my mind for no reason other than time.

Then this past weekend, we had the opportunity to visit the shore on a mild winter day. We took the kids to the aquarium with our good friends and had a fantastic time. The boardwalk fries and pizza still taste as good as they did 15 years ago. The boardwalk looks exactly the same. And now I get to share it with my husband, who didn't grow up with it, and my kids.

No comments: